Hello and welcome to JayFish v5.0 Installation
THIS DEVELOPMENT has been tested for an on – CHROME and FIREFOX
This REQUIRES a clean FRESH install of Raspian Buster Desktop edition. The instructions are structured to get you up and running fast. Here are the current release notes for Jayfish v5.
The first step to any raspberry pi setup to first ensure that your raspberry pi is connected the internet and to perform the classic update and upgrade command routine. If you are not familiar with this process google it, there is a ton of information on it. If you are happy to proceed without researching it, this is how.
Get to the command prompt and run the following two commands, when prompted say yes or y as instructed.
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get upgrade
At this point it would be good to reboot your raspberry pi.
Now lets configure the raspberry pi for optimum support, and by this I mean enabling what is needed by this project and also enabling remote access options that will make your life easier. PS: Make sure you change your pi password, it is very easy to hack as it’s well known.
- sudo raspi-config
- This tool is the primary configuration tool to setup the raspberry pi.
- Configure Keyboard (Localization options)
- Setup your keyboard, correctly to ensure that special characters when types will work properly.
- Configure Timezone (Localization options)
- This is important to make sure that your clock, and the scheduler works in your timezone.
- Configure SSH – Yes (Interfacing Options)
- As your skills advance accessing your pi remotely via command line is an essential ability and tool.
- Configure VNC – Yes (Interfacing Options)
- VNC allows you to graphically remote into your pi, it’s awesome I suggest you use it, if your not familiar with the command line.
- If you end up using the Pi 7″ LCD this will be handy to remotely setup your browser to the special lcd page for Jayfish which will simulate a type of touch screen control panel at your aquarium base.
- Configure I2C On (Interfacing Options)
- Switch this on, its a communication protocol used for many projects.
- Configure 1-Wire On (Interfacing Options)
- This is necessary for temperature sensor readings.
After all the above REBOOT …
Now that your pi is in the right condition to install Jayfish, let’s move ahead.
Let’s create an install folder off your home directory called j5, this will be your setup files location, which will be used later on to run upgrade scripts and so on. So keep the folder and files in it … it’s important. The next set of instructions is basically going to help you create a folder, get the setup files from the internet and then run the install. Where ever asked, answer yes or y, if you get stuck or need help contact email@example.com
Lets Proceed with the following commands run from the command line, remember it you are asked to reboot at any time, simply go back into the j5 install folder.
- mkdir j5
- cd j5
- wget http://www.piworx.net/setup/j5/base-setup.sh
- sh base-setup.sh
- DEPENDING ON YOUR INSTALL
- sudo sh install-stretch.sh (FOR STRETCH DESKOP EDITION)
- sudo sh install-buster.sh (FOR BUSTER FULL DESKTOP EDITION)
- sudo sh install-buster-lite.sh (FOR BUSTER LITE EDITION)
- sudo sh post-install.sh
- sudo sh dbinstall.sh
- sudo sh service-install.sh
- sudo sh dht-install.sh
Now navigate to your ip address http://x.x.x.x
DEFAULT USERNAME AND PASSWORD IS:
DEFAULT PIN FOR Pi LCD or TOUCH SCREENS – DASHBOARD IS:
To use the dashboard you would goto your ip address http://x.x.x.x/dash.php
This password can be changed in the website itself.
To reset the password if lost do run the following reset script, as mentioned before it will be in your j5 setup folder.
- sudo sh resetpassword.sh
NOTE: We recently upgraded to version 5.1, you will have this and will not need to upgrade but the notes might be useful.